FAST PITCH TUCSON: Compelling stories, powerful returns
- Seeking Tucson’s most innovative and high-impact nonprofit organizations
- Free two-month long communication skills training and mentoring program
- Thousands of dollars in awards and the chance to tell your story to an audience of hundreds, including representatives from major foundations, corporations and other donors
- Applications will be accepted from Monday, June 10, until 6 p.m. on Friday, July 12
ABOUT FAST PITCH TUCSON
FAST PITCH TUCSON is a free two-month communication skills training program for nonprofits that are creating lasting social change in the greater Tucson area. The program trains nonprofit professionals to powerfully communicate their story, and connects them with leaders in the business, philanthropic, and nonprofit communities who can help them achieve their goals.
Professionals from 15 organizations will be selected to participate based on the degree to which their approaches to pressing issues give them a competitive advantage to significantly increase social impact. Past participants in Fast Pitch across the country have described the program as invaluable – resulting in greater confidence and effectiveness when presenting, increased exposure for their organization, important new relationships, and additional support from donors and volunteers.
This year, it culminates in the Fast Pitch Showcase to be held on Nov. 7, 2019. Up to seven finalists will make three‐minute pitches to a panel of judges and an audience of hundreds of philanthropic, business, civic, and nonprofit leaders, competing to win cash awards. The program and Showcase reception will be held at the Leo Rich Theater in the Tucson Convention Center at 260 S. Church Avenue.
INNOVATION & IMPACT IN THE SOCIAL SECTOR
- Creating a commercial kitchen space where small business food entrepreneurs can go through a structured program to develop and grow their business. This growth helps to stimulate the local economy and helps a small business owner living on the edge create financial stability in their personal life.
- Detained adults and unaccompanied children having access to free legal and social services that could help them through the process of dealing with pending immigration removal proceedings in Arizona.
- A new education initiative dedicated to re-imaging the relationship between our schools and the community by creating a system where educators connect with local community partners to bring the real-world into the classroom. These learning exchanges help students see real-world application of their studies and increase the community’s understanding of and personal connection to our education system.
These are just some of the innovative solutions to society’s problems presented in past years at Fast Pitch here in Tucson. Nonprofit organizations are using limited resources in creative and effective ways to deliver lasting social impact. Leaders of these organizations have a vision for solving social issues rather than simply alleviating the symptoms.
Successful applicants exhibit one or more of the following characteristics:
- They are entrepreneurial, resourceful, and focused on long-term outcomes.
- They create solutions to complex social problems
- They design new, non-obvious approaches to improve products or services or deliver them to new populations in ways that society does not expect.
- They may be employing advanced technologies, leveraging collaborations with other nonprofits, or applying promising business models such as social enterprises to create earned income or employment.
- They generate greater social return than the status quo through better outcomes and/or more cost-effective solutions.
Social Venture Partners Tucson is seeking such nonprofit organizations to participate in the Fast Pitch program.
ABOUT SOCIAL VENTURE PARTNERS
Social Venture Partners builds powerful relationships among people who want to give back and the nonprofits that make change possible. We are a diverse group of individual donors (“Partners”) – business people, entrepreneurs and nonprofit leaders – who combine our skills, resources and networks to help nonprofits succeed. We focus our philanthropy on capacity building, and work with you to strengthen your nonprofit and increase your impact in the community. SVP Tucson is a member of the Social Venture Partners network of more than 3,400 engaged donors in 40 cities globally. For more information, visit svptucson.org.
Please reserve the following dates and times, when submitting your Fast Pitch application.
All dates are mandatory for Fast Pitch Participants.
- Mentor/Participant Meet and Greet: Thursday, Sept. 12, 4-7 p.m.
- Mentor/Participant Orientation Workshop: Thursday, Sept. 19, 7:30 a.m. to noon
- Three Participant Practice Sessions: Wednesday, Sept. 25, Thursday Oct. 10 and Wednesday Oct. 23, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Mentor Appreciation Event: TBD
- Dress Rehearsal for Finalists Only: Friday, Nov. 1, 9:30 a.m.-11 a.m.
- Fast Pitch Event for all Participants: Thursday, Nov. 7, 4:30-9 p.m.