The Golden Valve Awards recognize the most innovative and well-executed uses of software supported by Hexagon PPM.
NOTE: See CONTEST RULES section for details about permitted software.
- Visually Complex - Based on visual complexity shown in one image, this category is open to any type of plant - onshore, offshore, pharmaceutical, power generation, food & beverage, etc. Although the entire plant need not be shown, a view highlighting complexity is recommended.
- Discipline-specific - This image spotlights your specific discipline, whether structural, HVAC, equipment, or electrical, using Hexagon PPM software as a professional tool.
- Photo-realism (formerly Rendering and Ray Traces) - This category comprises 3D model images, which are highly detailed and attractive with photo-realistic quality, such as mirror-like reflections, smooth shading, and realistic skies and backgrounds. Photo matching is also in this category.
- Animation - This category encompasses movies or multimedia presentations related to the process, power, or offshore industries. Fly-throughs and construction sequencing are some examples.
In each of the first three categories, the prizes will be:
- 1st place - $1,000
- 2nd place - $500
- 3rd place - $250
The Animation category will have one winner: 1st place - $1,000. All entries will be considered for the Judge's Choice Awards at $1,000 each. Best of Show will receive $1,500 and complimentary registration for HxGN LIVE. All winners will also be featured in the 2019 Golden Valve Calendar and will receive a limited quantity of calendars. All monetary prizes are in U.S. currency. If your company does not allow monetary awards, we will make a donation to the charity of your choice. All winners will be featured at HxGN LIVE and in Insight magazine.
- Discipline-specific, Visually Complex, and Photo-realism categories - Each entry should include an image that is at least 3,000-to-5,000 pixels wide or tall for print. Use the Snapshot command in SmartPlant Review to create a 3,000- to 5,000-pixel wide or tall image.
- Animation category - All animations MUST be accompanied by a high-resolution .tif file image of a frame in the animation. This image cannot be the same image as one also entered in any still image category. Please provide an image 3,000 to 5,000 pixels or larger or the largest screen capture you can provide.
Entries will be judged with equal emphasis on:
- Technical use of software and system capabilities
- Innovative and imaginative use of software
- Quality of the rendering itself, and techniques used:
- Visual interest
- Visual impact
- Overall quality of the image/model/rendering/working view, etc.
- True-to-life colors
- True-to-life background
- Aesthetics of the image or animation, including composition, layout, and use of color
The contest judges and/or administrators reserve the right to disqualify entries if they have been inaccurately represented on the entry form, particularly with regard to software contest rules. The judges decisions are final.
Winners will be notified by May 21, 2018. All awards will be presented at HxGN LIVE. Award recipients unable to attend should have a representative from their company appointed to receive awards. In a case where the award recipient or representative from his or her company is unable to receive the award, special arrangements will be made for shipment.
If you have any questions concerning your entry or the contest rules, please contact Ashley Ranguelov at 1-256-730-3669 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.