Thank you for your interest in Leadership Tulsa! Below is information about applying to Class 59. Download an information sheet by clicking here.
To identify, develop and connect diverse leaders who impact the community through service.
Why Leadership Tulsa?
- 40+ year track record for developing leaders
- More than 2,000 members
- Collaboration with 100+ agencies
- Diverse and inclusive participation
- Community as a classroom
What are the program benefits?
- Expanded leadership capacities
- Practical application of leadership skills through board service
- More knowledge about Tulsa, its strengths and challenges
- Introduction to high-level community and business leaders
- Discussions of important public policy issues
- Diversity and new perspectives
- Knowledge and resources for effecting change
- Networking with others who care about Tulsa
- Exposure to service opportunities
- Lifelong friendships
What are we looking for?
- Passion and willingness to serve our community for the long-term
- Desire for a greater understanding of the Tulsa area
- Commitment to doing what it takes to make a difference
- Diversity of thoughts, ideas and experiences
- Out-of-the-box thinking
- Sincere commitment to Tulsa
- Well-established leaders AND up-and-coming leaders
- Organizational Leadership – What have you done in the past? What are you currently doing and what are your future goals for organizational and business leadership opportunities?
- Community Involvement – What have you done in the past? What are you currently doing and what are your future goals for elective or volunteer involvement?
- Motivation – How motivated are you to take full advantage of the opportunity offered by Leadership Tulsa and stay active as an ongoing LT member?
- Time Commitment – How interested and committed are you to completing the Leadership Tulsa program and contributing to the Tulsa community in the future?
Our selection committee reads and reviews each application with the above criteria in mind. The information you provide in your essays, as well as the letters of recommendation, is what gives the committee the best insight into how you currently fulfill the above criteria and your aptitude for future fulfillment. Take your time when composing your essay answers.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The selection committee considers only those items requested in your application. There is no benefit to have additional calls of support placed to the office.
Special Note – because of the large quantity of quality applicants and limitations in class size, many individuals are not selected the first time they apply. This is NOT necessarily a reflection of your application quality. Balance and diversity in all aspects of the selection process are what we strive to achieve in each class. Applicants are encouraged to contact Leadership Tulsa for specific feedback on their applications. An application may be forwarded for consideration for the next class or an applicant may re-apply in the future. There are two classes offered each year; one begins in August and one in January.
Commitment – All participants are incredibly busy people!
Be FULLY present at each class session. Secure the dates on your calendar in advance.
Attendance at the orientation and overnight retreat is mandatory.
Participation in “hands-on” volunteerism with the board of a local nonprofit agency.
|Evening Orientation||January 16, 2018||6:00 p.m. til 8:30 p.m.|
|Overnight Retreat (MANDATORY)||January 26-27, 2018||8:00 a.m. Friday til noon Saturday|
|Downtown Tulsa / Tulsa History||February 20, 2018||8:00 a.m. til 4:30 p.m.|
|West Tulsa||March 27, 2018||8:00 a.m. til 4:30 p.m.|
|North Tulsa||April 17, 2018||8:00 a.m. til 4:30 p.m.|
|Midtown Tulsa||May 15, 2018||8:00 a.m. til 4:30 p.m.|
|Northeast Tulsa||June 19, 2018||8:00 a.m. til 4:30 p.m.|
|East Tulsa||July 17, 2018||8:00 a.m. til 4:30 p.m.|
|South Tulsa||August 21, 2018||8:00 a.m. til 4:30 p.m.|
|Closing the Circle and New Member Welcome Reception||September 18, 2018||10:00 a.m. til 6:00 p.m.|
Application Deadline – October 15, 2017 | $35 non-refundable application fee made payable to Leadership Tulsa
See application submission info page for more details.
Things to know before you start the application:
You are required to submit TWO letters of reference. You may choose any reference you like, however, only one (1) can be from an employer. You are encouraged to use community references that are familiar with your volunteer work. Letters should describe why you have potential as a leader in Tulsa, how you plan on applying your leadership or how you are currently involved in the Tulsa community. During the selection process, these references may be contacted for purposes of clarification. These can be uploaded as a Word doc or PDF.
Be prepared to answer the following essay questions:
1. Describe your activities that demonstrate your commitment to the community. Items might include work for schools, neighborhoods, political campaign, religious groups, athletic, professional/business, civic and community activities. Please do not simply list as bullet points; go into some depth about the type of activities you undertook and why they were important to you.
2. Describe your activities that demonstrate your ability as a leader. What do you consider your most important accomplishment?
3. Why are you interested in Leadership Tulsa? What do you hope to gain? How will you make the required accommodations in your schedule to fully participate in the program?
4. Why should Leadership Tulsa be interested in you? What will you as an individual bring to the class and the community?
If you have any questions regarding the application process or the program, please call the Leadership Tulsa office at 918-477-7079. You may also email your question to Wendy Thomas, executive director, at email@example.com.